Sunday, January 2, 2011

Conversations in Passing: Less Baggage. More Sincerity

1. Do you. But if "doing you" is bothering me - please don't involve me. I'm nicer this year, but I'm also on that 247. I'm a quarter of a hundred years old now. I'm not carrying anyone's baggage but mine. Neither should you. I don't want ANY drama this year - and my life is soooooo not dramatic, but other people like bringing their shit into my zen-zone. True.

I mean, there are some things I need to face, like how un-clean my house is. But my lightly messy living spaces are a reflection of my lightly messy brain. I'm not organized. It's not a sin. It doesn't bother me until it bothers me. Hallelujiah. Amen.

But the only bullshit I happily deal with is mine. Yours, uh uh. #stayback #strangerdanger!

2. I'm now Pro-makeup. If you say sorry, please be sincere. Let your actions prove it. Meet each other halfway while en route. I say this because I had an insane amount of apologies last year. Like, again and again and again and again, people were apologizing. I'm not a grudge holder. I love it when I can admit to myself that what I did was fucked up, and I like it when other people can too. But it shouldn't take anything less than my good sense on a sober and uneventful day to say sorry. I pay tons of attention to the timing of these apologies. I like knowing the agenda behind peoples words. Are you really sorry? Or are you just embarrassed and feeling sheepish? That's what I couldn't tell from most of these apologies. One came after they felt under appreciated. Another one came after a peculiar string of revenge bitch! slaps. Another one came on a drunk as fuck moment 8 months After the fact. Another one is a repeat apologizer, and now I don't take anything they say seriously. Should it matter in what context I get an apology? Yes. I want you to be sincerely sorry. Picture this:

You + your neighbor are super cool. One day you and your neighbor get in a tiff. You stop talking. You feel bad. You sincerely want to be friends again. Do you:
1. Apologize
2. Stay Mad, or
2. Just not apologize.

Okay, you do nothing, or you stay mad. One day, your neighbor comes to you with a nice and warm apple pie. They say it's for the cookout you're having, even though they're not staying - They baked it for you, and then they leave.

THEN you say sorry.

Why now?

1. Is it because you feel silly that you just got an apple pie from someone who you've been consciously disregarding? Or is it because

2. You realize that while you were throwing shade and staying mad, this person was baking you a pie. Now what? You've been caught off guard. You were expecting a right, but you got a left? Check mate? Touche? Disarmed?

3. You sincerely felt bad, you just couldn't bring yourself to apologize. And now, you have this pie, and you feel even worse? Because now it's like you're apologizing because of the pie, when with or without the pie - you were sorry.

As you can see... this is what events and actions have in common to me. If you're sorry just say sorry. Don't wait for the day I bring pie to say sorry. It just doesn't sound real and honest. If it was a commercial - I wouldn't buy it.

Also, flowers never hurt nobody.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment